Frequently Asked Questions
Got a question? Check out some of the FAQs at Le Lotus and further useful information to see if you can find the answer – it could save you a phone call!
We hope this will be informative and help you to make the right decision when it comes to choosing to get your nails professionally cared for. Please do ask lots of questions if you are unsure of anything relating to nail care and nail enhancements whilst you visit a nail salon.
- Where is the closest parking spaces to Le Lotus?
The closet car park to our salon is Pound Lane CT1 2BZ, Millers Field CT2 7EF, St Radigunds CT1 2AA.
- What kind of payment does Le Lotus accept?
We currently accept cash only.
- Do you do student discount?
We do not offer student discount.
- What will I do if I want to buy a gift card?
Our gift vouchers are available at our location of 12 St Peters Street, Canterbury, CT1 2AT. Please come to our nail salon to make a purchase and collect your voucher at the same time.
- What happens if I don’t use all of my voucher value?
We will issue you with a new voucher of the new amount. The expiry date will remain the same.
- Do you accept walk-ins?
- Tell me about your repair policy
In the unlikely event that your nails need a repair due through no fault of your own, upon examination we will re-do the problem nail free of charge subject to the terms below. Anything beyond that will need to be charged.
Enhancements and gel polish manicures are guaranteed for 48 hours after your appointment. If you lose an enhancement or notice chips or lifting within 48 hours, please call us to schedule a free repair.
You must arrange an appointment to have your nails fixed within 5 days after your initial service.
Repairs after 3 days or for breakages, tears, and corner breaks will be charged.
Traditional polish services are not guaranteed.
We will not be responsible for any breaking or infected nails.
If you damage the original design a charge will apply for repairs.
We will charge you for the costs of any repairs or replacements that we have to carry out due to your own lack of care for your nails, or the finish to your nails (in that they are broken, chipped or start to lift).
- How do I contact you if I have a question or not happy about something?
We are more than happy to answer questions and hear customer feedback. The quickest and easiest way to contact us is via Facebook, Instagram Messenger, email or by calling us on 01227 907467
- How much do you charge for designs?
The price of a design usually depends on its level of difficulty, time required, number of nails with the special design, and special products for a particular design.
- Can I bring my own nail polish?
- I often have manicure and pedicure. Can I purchase my own cuticle nippers to bring along?
Yes, you can purchase a cuticle nipper from us to bring along to your appointment.
- What are the main advantages of artificial nail applications?
For people who have a tendency to bite or pick at their nails, there is a 90% success rate of stopping this habit with artificial nail applications. There are two reasons for this. First, people are less likely to ruin something they’ve spent time and money on. Secondly, nail biters are generally inspired by having beautiful hands for the first time in their lives. It can give you the long, healthy-looking nails you’ve always wanted.
- What is acrylic nails?
Acrylic nails are formed by mixture of liquid acrylic (monomer) and polymer, which is an acrylic powder, and is applied to the nail. Acrylic can be applied directly on top of the customer’s natural nail without false tips. However, if the customer wishes to extend the length of the nails, a false tip is applied before the acrylic.
Acrylics are the most common nail extension, they are strong and versatile, they can be finished in pretty much any colour, shape or form. Most women go for the elegant French manicure finish, as this goes with most outfits. Colours are good if you want to match an outfit or follow current fashion trends.
- What’s the difference between Acrylic and Gel Powder extensions?
Both Acrylics and Gel powder are excellent options if you are looking for stronger or longer nails, so we offer both for your preference at Le Lotus. Acrylics are made by mixing a liquid monomer and a powder polymer to create a hard coating over the nail, this can be done over tips or sculpted.
Gel Powder offers a more natural and crystallised finish. The processes are similar to acrylic nails. However, the gel powder gives a transparent effect
- What is a Pink and White nail service?
“Pink and White” refers to the use of two colours of acrylic applied to the nails to produce more permanent and a natural-looking French manicure look.
- What is Dipping Powder, typically known by the brand SNS?
Dipping powder has no odour, no liquid, no primer and no UV light. It helps the nails to grow stronger and healthier by adding 5 different kinds of Vitamins and Calcium. Dipping Powder is thinner and lightweight, giving you natural but durable finish.
Dipping powder is suitable with false tips to create longer length or over the natural nails for protection.
- What is an Ombré nail service?
Ombré nails is a unique look which is created using coloured acrylics powder. Typically, light colour on the top of the nail gradually blends into a darker colour toward the tip or vice versa.
- What is an overlay?
An overlay is a thin layer of acrylic/gel powder/dipping powder applied to the nail for strength.
- How do I maintain my nail extensions?
Every 2-3 weeks your nail technician will fill in the area near the cuticle between where the natural nail has grown and where the artificial nail or tip is attached. This “fill” includes smoothing, re-sanitising and re-applying the acrylic where it has naturally grown out.
- Will my natural nails continue to grow under the Acrylics?
Yes. Artificial nails can actually improve the health of your natural nails by protecting them from biting, picking, excess moisture and other elements that can weaken or damage them.
- How long do artificial nail last?
Artificial nail extensions should be maintained every 2-3 weeks. It is important to have regular infill because if the acrylic lifts away from the natural nail, moisture and bacteria can accumulate between them. A professional nail technician can spot problem areas best and should provide adequate advice.
- Do you charge for soaking off nails?
- Will Acrylic or Gel Extensions damage my nails?
If you have your extensions professionally applied and professionally maintained and removed by qualified nail technicians, there should be no damage to your nail plate. It goes without saying that if you pick at your nails or pull them off yourself, the nail will be damaged. Professional technicians like those at Le Lotus will use the correct, branded, high quality products to apply and remove your nail extensions.
Most enhancements involve preparing your natural nail plate, during this procedure we have to etch the surface for the product to stay firmly on the nail without lifting. This process may cause slight weakness to the nail, but this is never permanent as your nails always grow out.
- How long will it take for my nails to return to normal after removing my acrylics?
The area the acrylics covered will be slightly weaker than the new growth from the cuticle; it will take approximately one month for you to grow out that weakened area. Be sure to use some strengthener treatment for your natural nails, condition your cuticles with specialised Oil and have regular manicures to maintain healthy growth.
Gel/Shellac vs Normal Polish
- What is Gel/Shellac ?
Shellac/Gel Is a Hybrid Nail colour, it applies like a polish, wears flawlessly for 14 days of high gloss shine, and is removed in minutes. To dry it is cured under a UV lamp within minutes and saves up to 80% of drying time in comparison to normal polish.
- Is there a difference between Gel or Shellac Polish?
This can cause some confusion, but strictly speaking, they are the same thing- both are gel manicures that are cured under a UV lamp to produce a long-lasting manicure. A ‘gel manicure’ is the general term that covers all brands of gel polish or ‘2 week polish’, whereas Shellac is a specific brand of gel polish made by CND. All gel polish brands have a slightly different formula because they are made by different companies, but they all do the same thing! At Le Lotus we only use the highest quality gel polishes that we have tried and tested for years;– we have multiple brands to give you more colour choice.
- Should I have gel polish or normal polish for my nail?
Gel polish is a more advanced invention and a convenience option when you want to make sure the colour will stay. Gel polish will be usually glossier and tougher with resistant than regular polish. While using regular nail polish, your nails will look like having a coat of plastic; gel polish will make your nails like having a coat of glass on them. Gel polish will last longer and reduces 80% of the drying time.
Regular polish has common issues when nail polish chips off or wears away after few days. This cause by the characteristics of natural nails which are thinner, easier to bend and limited in bonding ability with regular nail polish.
Regular polish isn’t designed to last as long as gel polish, so you’re likely looking at up to a week before you start to see wear and tear if you care for your nails properly. However, standard polish is a great choice if you are just looking for great nails for a one-off special occasion, its quicker to apply than gel polish, but you do have to wait for it to dry fully after your manicure to avoid smudges.
- How long does normal polish take to dry?
Approximately 20 mins- 30mins.
- My nails are weak can I wear Gel/Shellac?
Yes, you can, with the right consultation, aftercare and most importantly the right removal, wearing gel/shellac can actually improve the health of your natural nail. It will act as a strong cover while the natural nail recovers and rebuilds underneath. As long as you return to Le Lotus to have your gel/shellac removed and reapplied then gel/shellac will not harm your natural nail. Only the wrong kind of removal can ruin your natural nail, such as peeling or picking off your gel/shellac.
- Do you charge to take off old gel polish?
Yes, we charge £2 to take off old gel/shellac.
Natural Nail Services
- What are cuticles? Which manicure packages include cuticle work?
Cuticles are the small overgrowth of dead skin at the bottom of your nail plate. They join the living tissue (epinichium) to your nail, and protect you from any contaminants getting under your skin. However, overgrown cuticles are no good! Cuticles should be kept pushed back and tidy to keep your nails looking healthy- short, pushed back cuticles also help you get neat, long lasting polish application and help your nails look longer and more elegant. Manicures and pedicures from Le Lotus will include cuticle work.
- What is a manicure?
A natural nail treatment includes cutting, shaping the natural nail, the removal of excess cuticle growth, a hand and lower arm massage and is finished with a polish colour of your choice.
- How long does a gel manicure last?
Gel polish manicures typically last about two weeks for most people.
The durability of gel polish depends on the specific condition and how frequently you use your hands for activities.
- What is a Pedicure?
The pedicure is a treatment for the feet it is performed in a massaging chair with a powerful jet stream foot spa. The treatment includes the cutting and shaping of the toe nails, the removal of excess cuticle growth, the removal of hard skin from the bottom of your feet, a lower leg and foot massage. It is finished with a polish colour of your choice.
- Why should you have a spa pedicure with Le Lotus?
Treat yourself to a salon spa pedicure at Le Lotus. Our Spa Pedicure. We offer all pedicure services on one of the world’s finest luxury Spa pedicure chairs with a built-in back massage system and whirlpool foot bath. So, you all you have to do is sit back and relax.
- What is the benefit of a pedicure?
Regular pedicures not only help keep feet looking pretty, they also keep nails trimmed, calluses controlled and skin moisturized. In addition, a foot massage helps to relieve tension and stimulate circulation.
The average person takes 8,000 to 10,000 steps a day, which adds up to about 115,000 miles over a lifetime! All this wear and tear on your feet can be harmful if they are not maintained properly.
Pedicures are a great way to provide basic care for your feet. What is a pedicure? A pedicure is a cosmetic treatment for the feet and toenails that cleans your feet, provides nail care and foot/calve massages. Contrary to popular belief, pedicures are NOT just for women! They are for anyone who to take care of their feet.
Here are the top six benefits of regularly getting pedicures.
- Early Detection of Problems– Receiving a regular pedicure can help the pedicurist detect early signs of corns, bunions and fungal infections. These conditions are easier to treat when they are identified in its earlier stages.
- Decreases Chances of Infections– Clipping, cutting and cleaning of the toe nails prevents them from growing inward and causing infection. The elimination of dirt and bacteria from your feet will also help prevent nail diseases disorders (fungi) and foot odours. It is also important to keep toenails healthy because they protect toes from trauma.
- Preserves Skin’s Moisture– A pedicure includes soaks in warm water and massages with oils and lotions that help preserve the moisture and integrity of your feet. Moisturized feet are less likely to get blisters, crakes or other foot problems. It is also important to keep your cuticles moisturized to prevent nails from growing out with ridges or split ends which can cause the nails to lift out of the nail beds.
- Exfoliates the Feet– Exfoliation, or removal of dead skin cells, prevents the cells from accumulating and causing bunions or corns, which can be uncomfortable and painful. The removal of the dead skin on your feet, especially on the heel, encourages new cell growth which creates smoother and more attractive feet.
- Promotes Circulation– The most enjoyable part of the salon pedicure is the massage. Massaging helps promotes circulation and helps relieve tension in the calves and feet. Increase in blood circulation can reduce pain and help distribute heat throughout your body.
- Relaxes the Body-A good pedicure can be very relaxing. It helps you relieve stress and can be therapeutic. According to the British NHS information, massage therapy eases tension, stiffness and enhances well-being”.
Feet get little care compared to other parts of your body such as your hands and face. Healthy feet are vital to our overall health so don’t neglect them! Whether you go to a salon or you do your own pedicure, make sure to get one at least once a month to health your feet stay in good condition.
- Can I bring my pets with me?
We love our customers and their furkids, but unfortunately the health department limits us from accommodating them in our nail salon. We appreciate your understanding.
- Can my kids be around?
If you have a small baby or a young child it is often difficult to get out to a salon to get your nails done. We are happy for babies or kids to be around, but it is much better if someone is there to watch them and tend to them should the need arise. While you are with us, your hands will be in worked on for the majority of the time, and with the various layers of product we will be applying it’s not going to be the best outcome if you need to use your hands during the treatment. If they are old enough to keep themselves entertained, then of course that’s fine.